Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Creative Opportunity Came Knocking...

I entered another contest with Veer. It kind of makes me chuckle, because I don't usually take the time to enter contests. But the creative opportunity presented itself, I was between projects and I...was inspired to jump in.

The challenge: Step away from the computer and create the Veer logo out of things in the real world. Take a picture of your creation.

How I did it: Once I had an idea I liked, I treated my entry as I would any photo assignment, except in this case I was the Art Director, the stylist, the photographer, and the photographer's assistant. I did a lighting test the day before to figure out the time of day that would work best for candlelight. The day of, I searched for props at the park and found just the right mix of orange, red, and yellow leaves. (wondered what my husband would say when he learned I had just brought a garbage bag full of leaves INTO our yard.) I also picked up 1
00 votive candles and pre-lit them to prep the wicks. At 4:00, I set up the shot. Then at 4:45, amid a sprinkling of rain, I got up on the ladder, and I shot for an hour, until it was dark out. All that was left was to narrow down the shots to the best selection and I was done.

I did not win the contest. But I did have a few days of inspiration and fun, just when I needed it. There were 726 entries, with some really cool ideas which you can view at Veer's The Skinny. (Mine is slide 126 in the gallery.)

1 comment:

tallskinnyguy said...

Love it. Glad you didn't burn your deck down.